I am a Reuters correspondent based in Budapest, Hungary.
Before joining Reuters I spent more than a decade in international reporting at the Hungarian daily newspaper Népszabadság, then studied investigative and data journalism in Washington, D.C. as a Fulbright Fellow.
In 2017-2019 I worked at atlatszo.hu, Hungary’s first non-profit, crowdfunded investigative site where my main responsibility was to take part in crossborder journalism projects and investigations.
I have also been writing in English for more than a decade. From 2017 until the beginning of 2020 I did freelance reporting for The Wall Street Journal.
As part of my U.S. fellowship, I worked as an intern with Dana Priest of The Washington Post for six months in 2015. I helped her with her series on the state of press freedom around the world, concentrating on the story of Khadija Ismayilova in Azerbaijan.
Besides that, I have had bylines in The Washington Post, The Calvert Journal, Vsquare.org, at Quartz, tol.org, Bloomberg BusinessWeek Online, the Hartford Business Journal, the Trinity Tripod, the FCPA Blog and the American Journalism Review.
I also worked as a fixer and freelance news assistant for various news organizations, including The New York Times.
In 2012 I was awarded the Junior Prima Prize, a Hungarian national journalism prize for my reporting from around the world, such as India, Norway, the United States and France.
Correspondent, Reuters, Budapest, Hungary, February 2020 –
Freelance reporter & news assistant, The Wall Street Journal, November 2017 – January 2020
– Reporting and doing research on topics related to Hungary, covering breaking news
– Fixer and translator for WSJ reporters arriving in Hungary
Investigative reporter and data journalist, Atlatszo.hu, Budapest, Hungary, June 2017-July 2019
– Investigative and data reporter covering corruption and Hungary’s diplomatic relations
– Work on cross-border investigative projects with OCCRP.org, Vsquare.org, and others
– Edit the English-language page of the website
– Edit the feminist blog of the website
– Manage the social media profiles of the website
Journalist and editor, weekly magazine Vasárnapi Hírek, Budapest, Hungary, January 2017-June 2017
– Write and edit foreign news, features about international events and analysis of global political events for weekly news magazine Vasárnapi Hírek
– Write feature stories and opinion pieces for sister newspaper Népszava
Journalist and editor, Népszabadság, Budapest, Hungary, October 2005- October 2016
– Cover U.S. politics
– Member of the investigative team (responsible for data analysis)
– Edit the web site of the newspaper, coordinate the work of 4-8 people
– Edit the international pages (print version)
– Won a national journalism award for foreign reporting – for stories from the U.S., Norway, India, Tunisia, Belarus, Poland, France, Belgium, Bulgaria, Jordan, and Egypt
Humphrey/Fulbright Fellow, Philip Merrill College of Journalism, University of Maryland, September 2014- August 2015
– Study data journalism and coding (MySQL, Excel, Python, HTML&CSS)
– Student writer at the American Journalism Review
– Study innovations in digital storytelling & changes in the media industry
Intern, The Washington Post, March 2015-August 2015
– Assisted Dana Priest with her series on press freedom; reporting, data analysis, fact-checking
– Co-reported a story on press freedom issues in Azerbaijan
Freelance news assistant, The New York Times, Budapest, Hungary, 2014
– Gathered background information for NYT reporters arriving at Hungary to cover current events
– Identified and contacted sources, translated during interviews
Freelance features writer and photographer, Transitions Online (tol.org), Budapest, Hungary, 2008-2011
Editorial intern, Hartford Business Journal, Hartford, CT, May-July 2007
Reporter, Trinity Tripod, Trinity College, Hartford, CT, September-December 2006
– MA in Media Studies and Communications, Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest, Hungary, 2003-2008
– Trinity College, Hartford, CT, studied political science, economics and international relations as a Kellner Scholar, 2006-2007
– MA in English Language and Literature, Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest, Hungary, 2001-2006
– Excel, MySQL, DocumentCloud, basic HTML & CSS, WordPress
– Photography – take and edit photos for my foreign reporting
Hungarian – native; English – fluent; French – working proficiency
Lindy hop, balboa, charleston. Running, biking, hiking. Jane Austen, Salman Rushdie, Michael Ondaatje. Stephen Colbert, John Oliver, House of Cards. This American Life, Reply All, S-Town. Growing herbs, reading recipes, cooking Indian food.